The herpes virus causes an acute viral disease of the mucous membranes and skin. He is able to hit any body. There are 8 types of herpes that affect the human body. One of its varieties is chicken pox. Just like adults, children are susceptible to this virus. Quite often, their infection occurs in the family from sick siblings or parents.
Usually in children there is a simple form (one of its known manifestations is “fever” on the lips). But the herpes virus in children can also affect other organs - the brain, genitals, eyes, liver, lungs.
The infection is transmitted in the following ways:
- When passing through the birth canal of the mother.
- Airborne droplets.
- Contact (through household items, kisses, toys).
- Transplacental (during pregnancy).
- Vertical (when the virus rises up from the organs below).
- Postnatally (after birth).
- During childbirth.
If the child’s immune system is normal, then a local (local) form of herpes develops. When the immune system is disturbed, the virus can penetrate all organs and infect them. The virus accumulates in erythrocytes, leukocytes and other cells for life and causes periodic exacerbations.
It is activated due to overwork, overcooling and other provoking factors. With oncological diseases and AIDS, common (generalized throughout the body) forms of herpes infection occur.
Before the onset of herpes, such unpleasant sensations as slight soreness, itching, burning in the place where the rash will soon appear. After some time, there is redness, then - grouped small bubbles with transparent contents. After 2-3 days, the contents of the bubbles dries out and turns into a crust, which disappears. In their place are pink spots.
During an exacerbation of the disease, the baby’s lymphatic nodes may be located close to the lesion, the temperature will rise for a short time, and the chair may become upset.
Manifestations of the disease are not limited to "fever" on the lips. It can affect the genitals (genital herpes), oral cavity (herpetic stomatitis), lungs (inflammation). But the most terrible manifestation of the disease is herpetic encephalitis (very serious brain damage with very sad consequences).
For herpes in newborns
Up to 3 years in infants maternal immunity obtained in utero is preserved. At this time, they are protected from the disease (children with very low immunity are an exception). But, if the mother is sick with the genital form of herpes, the newborn can also get sick. The virus enters the body of the child through the umbilical cord during pregnancy or during childbirth, during exacerbation of genital herpes from the mother.
- The disease begins at 4-7 days of life.
- There are abundant rash on the intestinal mucosa, eyes, mouth and skin. Herpes virus in children affects the bronchi, spinal cord and brain, adrenal glands, liver.
- The disease in newborns is very difficult and often results in disability of the baby or death.
Important: Before a woman makes a decision to get pregnant, you must be tested for herpes and cured.
Treatment of herpes
It is necessary to treat the disease in a complex and phased manner.
- The use of antiviral drugs (Zovirax, Acyclovir - 5 times a day, 200 ml orally). Children up to 2 years old - 100 ml of the drug for 5-10 days.
- Topically applied 5% cream with acyclovir (5-10 days). When herpes eyes - ointment 5% (from 3 to 20 days).
- With generalized forms of Na salt of acyclovir drip intravenously in 5-10 ml per 1 kg of weight (every 8 hours). You can use the ointment: Oxolin, Florenal, Bonafton, Tebrofen.
Dieting. You can not eat fried, pepper, salty foods. Alcohol is prohibited. Injections of Timalin - subcutaneously. Interferon - 1 ml (1 time in 5 days).
During remission, vaccine therapy is carried out (0.2 ml subcutaneously). 5 injections with a 10-day interval. 2 cycles are carried out.
Courses repeated after 3, 6, 12 months.
After vaccination, recurrences of herpes occur much less frequently, and in some cases even cease.
Contraindications to the use of the vaccine are malignant neoplasms, diseases of the liver, kidneys, intolerance to antibiotics.
Additional treatments for herpes infections
- The physiotherapist prescribes procedures such as phonophoresis of interferon ointment, UHF, UFO).
- Undiluted tea tree oil 2-3 times a day process bubble eruptions.
- Antiherpetic agent that contains licorice root powder - BAA "Lacrinate". Is taken orally in the form of tablets.
Herpes virus is treated. And although it is impossible to completely cure him, it is quite possible to forget about the existence of this disease.
Prevention of viral infection
- Compliance with the rules of personal hygiene (avoid contact with the sick, do not use other people's things).
- Eat right. In the spring and autumn to take vitamins to prevent vitamin deficiency in children.
- In winter, for the prevention of the disease, it is necessary to take immunostimulatory drugs.
- During the flu epidemic, apply antiviral ointments (1-2 times a day, lubricating the nasal mucosa with them).
- Children whose herpes appears quite often, are not recommended heavy physical exertion and hypothermia.
Remember: Parents need to know that the herpes simplex virus in children may sooner or later turn into a very serious problem. This is not the sore, which can help self-treatment, so be sure to consult with your doctor and go through a full examination.
To avoid the disease, it is necessary to harden the child and to accustom him to regular physical education.
Related article: Herpes during pregnancy