If a cough begins during pregnancy, urgent measures should be taken to treat it. Otherwise, the disease may have undesirable consequences for the woman and the baby. Most future moms underestimate the danger of the disease and are not in a hurry to find out what measures to take to eliminate it. Firstly, any self-treatment is excluded here: definitely you will have to undergo a course of therapy by a doctor. Secondly, a lot will depend on whether sputum is released.
The doctor will be able to correctly prescribe cough treatment after examining its characteristics. The selected drugs and the degree of threat to the health of the mother and baby will depend on them:
- non-productive, dry cough is not accompanied by the release of mucus or sputum, occurs as a consequence of various infectious diseases (measles, sinusitis, whooping cough, tuberculosis), allergic exacerbations, the initial stage of acute respiratory infections;
- a productive, wet, wet cough is characterized by an abundant release of sputum and mucus, which indicate a speedy recovery of the patient; is a consequence of the treatment of dry cough.
For pregnant women, a dry, strained cough poses a great danger, in which the throat, larynx, nasopharynx, and lungs are damaged in a very tense state. All this leads to the uterus tone, which can not be tolerated when it is weak or in the last months of pregnancy. A wet cough is much easier and is no longer so dangerous. Depending on these characteristics, the doctor determines how to treat it in each individual case.
Timely and properly prescribed treatment of cough during pregnancy is a guarantee that the health of the mother and baby will be completely safe. The doctor will listen to the lungs, determine the disease and its severity, and only then prescribe the appropriate medications based on the gestational age and future mom's state of health.
- with a dry cough at any (from 1 to 9 months) gestational age: Thoracic Elixir, Sinekod;
- in the II and III trimester, Stoptusin is permissible;
- when wet - Mukaltin, Doctor IOM, Bromhexin, Prospan, Licorice Root Syrup, Pectusin, Bronhikum, Gadelix, Doctor Theis;
- Lasolvan, Ambrobene, Flavamed is highly undesirable to apply in the first trimester;
- sometimes not to do without antibiotics: in the most severe cases, gentle options are prescribed - Ospamox, Flemoxin, Amoxil (penicillin group), Fromilid, Macropene (group of macroliths), Ceftriaxone, Cefazolin (group of cephalosporins);
- if the cough is accompanied by high fever, paracetamol, panadol, efferalgan are resolved;
- all drugs containing analgin at any stage of pregnancy are prohibited.
If for some reason it is not possible to consult a doctor (coughing attacks began on weekends, traveling, far from the city, etc.), traditional medicine will tell you how to treat cough during pregnancy with herbs and other improvised means. However, it is worth remembering that phytotherapy is harmful when carrying a child, so with such recipes you need to be as careful as possible. The composition of many folk remedies includes honey: yes, it has a great effect on the lungs and inflammation, but can cause an allergic reaction not only for the expectant mother, but also for the unborn baby.
- Fig (4 fruits) pour warm milk (500 ml), put on a slow fire, wait until the milk turns into a brown mass, remove from heat. Drink three times a day for 100 ml.
- Dry sage (one table. Spoon) pour warm milk (glass), boil, remove from heat, wrap in a warm towel, leave in this form for four hours. Drink a glass a day before bedtime.
- Mix one tea. spoon coltsfoot, Althea root, oregano. Pour boiling water over a glass (200 ml), leave closed for half an hour. After straining, you can drink. The recommended dosage is 2 to 6 times per day, 100 ml.
- Soak the cabbage leaf liberally with honey, put it on the chest with the sweet side down, tie it with a warm scarf, leave it overnight. In the morning, take off, wash the chest with warm water, dry off.
- Up to 10 times a day, pregnant women are advised to gargle against the throat with anti-inflammatory herbal decoctions of sage, chamomile, plantain, coltsfoot, calendula, plain water with salt, baking soda, apple cider vinegar.
- Inhalations can be effectively used a couple of times a day: you can use thyme, chamomile, lime blossom, marshmallow, sage, St. John's wort, plantain, with a damp one - highlander snake, eucalyptus, wild rosemary, mother-and-stepmother, string, cowberry, milfoil.
Before treating a cough during pregnancy, you need to think a hundred times, weigh all the pros and cons, especially if you do not have a doctor's permission. At the same time you need to know that during the period of carrying a child, no matter how hard and coughing it was, it is strictly forbidden:
- put the banks;
- soar feet;
- undergo physiotherapy;
- abuse vitamin C;
- put mustard plaster;
- take hot baths.
These recommendations should be strictly followed in order to protect yourself and your baby from negative consequences. Every woman who bears a baby under the heart should represent what a dangerous cough is during pregnancy.
Undesirable effects during pregnancy with late or incorrect treatment can be mild and transient, and can be very dangerous. Among them:
- increasing the tone of the uterus;
- impaired blood supply to the fetus;
- difficult transportation of oxygen and other nutrients to the fetus;
- if there is a threat of termination of pregnancy or isthmic-cervical insufficiency, coughing can lead to miscarriage, prenatal death of the child.
Cough and pregnancy are incompatible, so the disease requires urgent action. The delay in this case will be fraught with grave consequences primarily for the baby. During medical procedures, women need to drink more fluids (excluding alcoholic, energy, carbonated drinks), eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep and breathe fresh air - this will increase the effect of therapy.