Modern doctors often recommend drinking women when planning pregnancy Duphaston - today it is one of the most popular drugs, thanks to advertising and fruitful use in gynecology. It is used in the treatment of various pathologies, but most often - during pregnancy planning and for its maintenance.
Is Duphaston absolutely necessary for all girls who dream of becoming moms in the near future? Does the use of this wonder drug cause pregnancy with a 100% guarantee? Are there any contraindications for him? Before you drink this medicine, you need to get the most useful information about it.
Before you learn how to take Duphaston when planning pregnancy, you need to understand exactly how this drug works. This will help to understand why it should be used only on certain days of the menstrual cycle - otherwise, the life-saving tool can act exactly the opposite - as a contraceptive. The medicine works as follows:
- The drug contains synthetic progesterone, which is known in medical circles as a "pregnancy hormone": in the female body it is produced on the postovulatory days of the menstrual cycle, responsible for the degree of uterus preparation for pregnancy, subsequently - strengthens the fertilized egg;
- sometimes the failure of the desired pregnancy to occur is a failure in the hormonal system (read more about the effects of hormones during pregnancy) when progesterone is produced in insufficient quantities - this not only makes conception difficult, but also provokes further miscarriage;
- To make sure that this is your case, you need to pass certain tests to confirm the lack of progesterone in your body;
- accordingly, they recommend drinking Duphaston when planning pregnancy from day 16 to day 25 of the cycle, after ovulation;
- If the desired conception has come, you need to continue taking the medicine until the 20th week, and then gradually reduce the dosage, but do not stop drinking it abruptly - this often leads to an undesirable miscarriage.
Here you need to understand one thing: receiving Duphaston when planning pregnancy will give the desired result only in one case, if the reason for the impossibility of conception is a lack of progesterone in the female body.
If there are other factors that prevent getting pregnant, the drug may be useless. Therefore, it is not necessary to self-medicate and prescribe this medicine for yourself. Its use is possible only on prescription and after appropriate tests. The specialist should tell in detail and explain how to drink Duphaston when planning pregnancy and the presence of various gynecological diseases.
If, even after consulting a doctor, there are any doubts about this drug, detailed instructions, which are necessarily attached to Duphaston, will help to disperse them. It is from it that one can learn that not only infertility is an indication for its use. Assign it in the following cases:
- endometriosis (progesterone deficiency);
- infertility due to luteal insufficiency;
- habitual or threatened miscarriage against the background of progesterone deficiency, as determined by analysis;
- premenstrual syndrome;
- irregular menstruation;
- secondary amenorrhea (in combination with estrogen therapy);
- dysfunctional uterine bleeding;
- HRT (hormone replacement therapy): to neutralize the effect of estrogen on the endometrium in women with pathologies caused by menopause (both natural and surgical) in an intact uterus.
Most often, of course, Duphaston is prescribed when planning pregnancy for endometriosis, when tests clearly show a shortage of progesterone. With the correct schedule of admission results are not long in coming. But this is only if not only the indications for this drug were observed, but also contraindications.
There are cases when there is a forced cancellation of Duphaston when planning pregnancy, if one of the few contraindications for its use was not revealed in time. These include:
- hypersensitivity to duphaston components;
- skin itch, peeling, rash during a previous pregnancy;
- chronic renal failure.
In addition, although this drug can be used safely during pregnancy, it is better to stop drinking during lactation. The fact is that the main component of Duphaston - didrogesterone - is excreted with breast milk, so breastfeeding during the period of taking the drug is not desirable. In order not to encounter unforeseen side effects from the drug and not be disappointed in it, it is necessary to be examined for the presence of these pathologies. Among the side effects may be:
- hemolytic anemia;
- hypersensitivity reaction;
- minor abnormal liver function (accompanied by weakness, malaise, pain in the abdomen, jaundice);
- breakthrough bleeding;
- excessive sensitivity of the mammary glands;
- skin rash, urticaria, itching, angioedema (extremely rare).
If the study does not show anything, you can safely proceed to the use of Duphaston for its intended purpose in accordance with the dosages recommended by the doctor or prescribed in the instructions.
It will be better if the doctor tells you in detail how to properly take Duphaston in your case. Indeed, the instructions give only general schemes that do not take into account the individual characteristics of a particular organism. It usually indicates the dose of Duphaston in accordance with the diagnosis:
- Endometriosis: 10 mg three times a day continuously or from the 5th to the 25th day of the cycle.
- Infertility (The reason is luteal insufficiency): the dosage of Duphaston when planning pregnancy in this case is 10 mg daily from the 14th to the 25th day of the cycle, the course will need to be carried out continuously, regularly for 6 cycles following each other; then the doctor may recommend to continue the treatment in the first 2-3 months of pregnancy.
- Threatening abortion: Initially, drink 40 mg of Duphaston once, then 10 mg every 8 hours until symptoms disappear.
- Habitual abortion: Duphaston 10 mg is taken twice a day up to week 20, but then you will need to gradually reduce the dose.
- Premenstrual syndrome: administered 10 mg twice a day from the 11th to the 25th day.
- Dysmenorrhea: apply Duphaston twice a day, 10 mg from the 5th to the 25th day.
- Irregular menstruation: drink 10 mg twice a day from the 11th to the 25th day.
- Amenorrhea: in parallel with Duphaston, estrogens are administered once a day throughout the entire cycle, and the drug itself is taken in 10 mg twice a day from the 11th to the 25th day.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding: To stop them, Duphaston is prescribed 10 mg twice a day for a week; for prophylaxis, drink 10 mg twice a day from the 11th to the 25th day.
- HRT in combination with estrogen: if estrogens are used continuously, 10 mg of Djufaston is administered once a day for 2 weeks. If taking estrogen cyclic, Duphaston drink 10 mg once a day for the last 14 days of taking estrogen. If an ultrasound or biopsy shows an inadequate response to the progestogen drug, the dose of Duphaston is increased to 20 mg.
If the doctor who is observing you recommends drinking Duphaston during pregnancy planning, you should not refuse. The drug, indeed, has established itself well in the field of modern gynecology and brings good, tangible results. The only advice is to find out everything about him, in as much detail as possible, so as not to accidentally run into one of the contraindications missed by your doctor. Proper use of Duphaston - guaranteed achievement of the intended goal: the conception of a long-awaited child or recovery from an unpleasant and protracted illness.